Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Elevator ?Etiquette?

Spaces are a valuable commodity. Granted, it is not as bad here in the Bay Area as it is in New York or Japan or Hong Kong.. it is still scarcer than say Montana. To alleviate some of that.. we build high rises, and to get us to the floors because 1) we are too lazy (3rd floor) or 2) it is impossible (82nd floor). Like everything else in our life, there are certain unspoken etiquette we have adopted, such as holding the door for someone who’s rushing to the elevator, letting people who are in the elevator off first before getting in, and minimize your voice in the 5 x 3 space.

So let’s talk about voice level. To be honest, I am noticing this occurring more and more everywhere I go, but it seems to amplify in the small cell we call elevator. If you are two feet from each other, a voice level slightly higher than a whisper will suffice. Everyone in the elevator will probably still hear you. But do I really need to hear about how you got drunk on a Saturday night in perfect echoing stereo, and at a decibel level more suitable for a football game?

Then there is my other pet peeve. There are 3 sets of elevators in my work place.

First set has one elevator, which travels from the bottom basement level, to the 8th floor, servicing all 5 parking levels, the plaza, the mezzanine, the lobby and the rest of the floors in between. We will call this S1

And then there is the other set of elevators, which consist of 4 elevators that services all the floors from the lobby to the 8th. S2

The third set consists of 4 elevators that services from the basement to the lobby level. S3

Each set of these elevators is controlled by their own individual controls.

(I hope I haven’t confused anyone)

Ok.. I get off the bus and have to take the elevator (S1) from the bottom level to the 8th floor. There will always be 1 person that decides he wants to take the same elevator, but get off at the lobby. Why the hell did you just not get on the other 4 elevators (S3)??

Then there is the impatient button pusher. During lunch, I usually go to the lobby, or go back up from the lobby. And for this purpose, I use the “normal” elevators (S2). There is always 1 person who decides to push the button for S1, but instead of waiting, proceed to go into S2. Now, you may ask what the big deal is. When I leave work and have to take S1 all the way back down to the basement, I stop by every single floor, to be greeted by an empty lobby. I mean, if you push the button, WAIT for the fucking elevator. You just delayed my going home by like 3 minutes a DAY because YOU are too impatient to wait for 4 other elevator which will get to you FASTER anyways.

Dumbasses!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home