Thursday, July 28, 2005

What's a workplace without workers?

The dates that I picked (my wife did all of the planning, so I really should say she picked) to go to Japan were driven by two factors: Cherry Blossom and two co-worker’s maternity leave. My manager specifically wanted me to go before they go on maternity, and it’s understandable. The less people out, the less disruption to the operation. During the two weeks I went, two people were out of the office.

Tomorrow, aside from the two people who are (still) on maternity leave. We have two front desk receptionists, one file clerk, one back office administrator and one temporary personnel all out for one reason or another. That is SEVEN people out (counting the two on maternity leave), in a 13 people office. Ok… so that’s only one day.. right?

All of next week, one front desk receptionist, one back office administrator, one temporary personnel AND the manager are gone… That is SIX people out.. of an 13 people office. 46% of the staff, nearly half… gone for a week…

Remind me again, WHY I brother to give a shit about this place, and why I took those days off specifically so that no one will be burdened with my workload (which no one did because when I came back, my big pile of work got BIGGER).

Right… that damn mortgage…

While I am on the topic, let me rant some more. There is an old fart in our department. Who has been here since Burger King was a prince. He decided that since he gets like 4 times the vacation time any of us gets due to his years of service, he would take time off around every major holiday. And my manager approved them all. He did it this year and requested it for all of next year… Look, I know you have the vacation and I know you are entitle to take it.. Can you be a little considerate and leave some slots open for other people?

Although… now that I think about it… my manager apparently doesn’t give a shit how many people go on leave at a given time, so I can just go whenever… rather other people are on leave or not…right?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WTF is maturity leave??? They go on vacation to get more mature??? Well shit... I'm due for about a 5 year vacation.

Gotta love union/government jobs.

1:35 PM, July 28, 2005  
Blogger Sholl Poly said...

You work at Burger King?

8:18 PM, July 28, 2005  
Blogger Beans said...

Who works at Burger King?

7:22 AM, July 29, 2005  
Blogger The World Against Me said...

WOW! Paul, Congratulation! Your reading and deduction skills have reached an all-time high. You must be at what, the 5th grade level now? Keep up the good work! After all, you are only 18. No, contrary to what you have inferred, I do not work at Burger King. How is your job at Blockbuster though?

8:10 AM, July 29, 2005  
Blogger Sholl Poly said...

Oh it sucks, thanks for asking. Sorry Burger King is giving you such a hard time. You should come work with me. You get free movies. It's awesome!

10:09 AM, July 29, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul Sholly is, that is

4:23 AM, August 03, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home