Monday, August 08, 2005

My stomach is in mourning

You ever had that favorite article of clothing, but you can no longer wear it because it is too worn out or no longer fits? Ever had your favorite show or cartoon canceled leaving you with an empty void in your daily schedule? Sucks, doesn’t it?

A long time friend of mine, daughter of one of the greatest Thai chef in the world, informed me today that their family just recently sold their restaurant. The new owners will be taking over starting Sept 1st. Do I even have to tell you their restaurant serves some of the best Thai food ever cooked, this side of the Pacific?

Now I know some of you are no doubt are thinking, “TWAM, food is such a subjective thing, what is good to one person is crap to another”. And I concur. But I will tell you this, the food of this place, like White Castle, In and Out, Krispy Kreme, deep fried Twinkies, Hooter’s chicken wings and the famous dagwood* from the hole in the wall on 3rd street. These are foods the way food should be. They were meant to be devoured. And then maybe after the 10th time there, you can slow down to actually savor it.

All of the people whom I have recommended to go to this restaurant have never been disappointed. All of the people who have ever been to this restaurant rave about the food.

It’s been said that location is important in both real estate and business. And perhaps, because of the location, this restaurant never got as big as it should. While another Thai restaurant, just 2 blocks away (but on a much busier street), with mediocre food, is always packed.

Mrs. J, thanks for 20 years of great food. The sign of your restaurant should be enshrined forever next to the head of the doggie diners.

But until the end of the month, I think I am going there, twice a week, my energy permitting. Then perhaps, I can keep the taste of the food in my mouth, just a little bit longer.

* Dagwood from this place is a double cheeseburger, with a slice of ham, 2 fried eggs, and a hotlink. All served within toasted buns. It’s guaranteed to clot your arteries, but it is sooooo good!

2 Comments:

Blogger The World Against Me said...

Thank you. *sob* It has been expected. They have been talking about it for a long time. But nothing really prepares you when you find out it is actually happening...

3:17 PM, August 08, 2005  
Blogger Susan said...

I cried when my favorite italian restaurant closed...*sniffle*

10:31 AM, August 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home