Friday, August 12, 2005

Unions really suck

I recently got a promotion at my night job. Now, please allow me to explain what promotion means at this ultra-unionized work setting. It basically mean I am doing a different job ("better” “easier”) but get paid the same amount. Because you see, our wages are governed by a contract the teamsters negotiated with corporation.

Nope, our wages are not based on merit but on seniority. If fact, as you get higher on the seniority list, you get more pay, more time off, and a MUCH easier job. Fair isn’t it?
(And the AFL-CIO wonders why we, as a nation, have become less and less unionized).

The very fact that I live and work out of the 7th most overpriced place in the U.S., according to Forbes, has no bearing on my wages. I make the same amount as someone, with the same seniority, who works in a backwards town of say, Moody, Alabama, population 9000.

Not to mention, when contract time comes, all meeting that are held for members to voice their concerns are held late in the evening, when all of the part timers are working. Which basically means the part timers get shafted, every single contract.

But since this has been happening since the beginning of time, there isn’t much we can do to change it. After all, who are we but worker slaves? No, we are slaves to the corporation, but to the mighty Unions. But I will do what everyone else does in an union environment. I will just sit, and wait, as I move up the seniority list

4 Comments:

Blogger Beans said...

Well at least you are moving up and not down... I dunno.

12:06 PM, August 12, 2005  
Blogger Aarwenn said...

You know the AFL-CIO broke up, right? http://www.workers.org/2005/us/labor-unity-0818/

1:30 PM, August 12, 2005  
Blogger The World Against Me said...

Wow.. no I have not been keeping up with that..

1:50 PM, August 12, 2005  
Blogger Sholl Poly said...

Hey, we ain't backwards. We's is just slow movin' forwards. Uh hurr hurr hurr!

8:38 PM, August 12, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home