Monday, June 20, 2005

Growing up is hard to do

Growing up, my idea of being a grown-up was having the freedom to do what I want, when I want. Which as we all know, can’t be further from the truth. In the last few years, I have also struggled with the idea of being a grown-up. What does being a grown-up actually mean? When do you become a grown-up? Surely, age is not a good measure for it. I mean, the 18th birthday just doesn’t automatically usher you through some magical portal and transform you instantly into a responsible adult.

It is funny how you come to certain realization at the strangest time.
     And mine came yesterday…
          On Father’s day… 2005.
               While surfing the Internet.

For as long as I can remember, I have loved cars. No, not the “I love to sleep or eat good food” love. Nor the “I love my wife, my dog, my cats and my future kids” love. A different kind of love, a passion if you will. It could have (may in the future) become an obsession, but I refuse to let it get that far.

When I was in high school, I desperately wanted a ’91 Honda CRX SiR (Japanese Domestic Market). Why? It was a small and light (1977 lbs) w/ 157 hp (B16A) engine. But due to financial reasons, I could not afford one. (importing the S.O.B. would have cost around $30K).

I had also always wanted a motorcycle. Not a dingy 600cc or even a 750cc, I wanted something big, and fast. I wanted a Hiyabusha. But due to part impracticality and part laziness on my end prevented me from ever getting one.

Then one day, much like the revelation I had this Sunday, I was introduced to Detroit muscle, Chargers, Cheville, Cuda, Stingrays and Cameros. (*grunts like Tim the tool man Taylor). No longer did little rice-rockets with mufflers that sounded like can of angry bees do anything for me. I wanted the purr of a finely tuned V-8, the roar of full throttled engine. I was hooked. But I wanted nothing more than a 1969 Shelby GT-500. THAT was a thing of beauty. I could never afford this car either ($100K), but it hasn’t deterred me from wanting it.. kinda like the haunting dream that will never be realized.

I know, by now you are wondering... what in the world am I rambling about. Bear with me…

This Sunday, I found out that Ford Motor Co will once again collaborate with Carol Shelby and release a new GT500:



This time around, I can probably afford it (40K? maybe?), my wife and I would probably have to streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch the shit out of our budget. But I can finally get a piece of American history. But as quickly as the happiness and excitement came. A realization came to me. I am grown up now; I just cannot set aside everything and pursue wild dreams anymore. Especially a materialistic dream, of a car. I mean… really hit me. This is what being grown up is all about. Setting your priorities, knowing the consequences of your actions. Willing to give up everything and work your ass to the bone for the things that I am grateful that I already have: My wife, My dog, my two cats, my two goldfish and a house.

But if I ever get a divorce or win the lottery… I am coming for you… Shelby

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home