Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Omen III / W.T.F. - UPS Edition II

Ok, this is beginning to sound title of a movie. But Ramblin’ Girl hit it on the head, dead on.

So after having one of those days at work, I went home. Have a little verbal altercation with my wife and went to sleep. Woke up with a raging headache. I had not had a headache like this since I came back from Japan.

It seemed like just another night at UPS. The volume was a bit on the high side, but no big deal. Then we got news that the Oakland hub cannot process 20 of their trailers and those trailers has to be routed to us. Great… another 20,000 boxes…

One of the boxes that came through the belt was soaked. And the liquid had leaked onto all the surrounding boxes. I moved the box as sees a Flammable HAZMAT label. And the liquid has gotten all over my gloves and sleeves. I did what any sane man would do. I turned off the belt, panicked and screamed for my supervisor. I thought I was going to catch on fire. Either that or pass out from the fumes. My supervisor climbs up to where I was (I work about 20 feet above the ground) and was mortified to see what had happened. We had to shut off the belt for 10 minutes so a HAZMAT crew can clean up. During which, I went outside to “air” out.

After I came back, I was informed that a trailer was missorted onto our belt. Adding an additional thousand packages to our 6000 volume. And each one of these packages has to be put into a “missort slide”. Let’s just say a LOT more work.

It was finally break time. As I was walking outside for some fresh air, a co-worker called my name and I spun around. Less than a second later, a case of wine comes crashing down from the belt above. No more than a feet away from me. We are talking about a 12-pack case of wine. Like 50 some-odd pounds… All the bottles were broken and the HAZMAT team was once again called. I shudder to think what would happen if my co-worker didn’t not call for me.

After break was no better,

I banged up my knee bad when I was trying to get on the belt, twice. I can barely bend it now.

I slammed my head on an overhead rail while on the belt, because I forgot to duck. Which did nothing for my headache.

My gloves have three holes at the fingertips, all from last night. And I did not have a chance to buy any spare the last weekend.

When my shift was over, I slipped on one of the slide and banged up my thigh.

I am so glad I got home in one piece.

Like I said, some days I wish I had stayed in bed.

Did I mention, yesterday was garbage day? And we ran out of kitty litter.

10 Comments:

Blogger ramblin' girl said...

scary, I'm going to stop giving warnings and/or advice, look what I did... that telekinesis thing has to stop. ;-)
hope things improve.

10:11 AM, June 22, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm... perturbing to say the least.

Worker's comp may make you feel better???

11:46 AM, June 22, 2005  
Blogger The World Against Me said...

Workers' Comp sucks.. way too little pay =( Maybe one day.. when it covers my entire mortgage......

It could have been worst, The box could have caught on fire. Which could be a serendipity, no more work for the night. =)

1:41 PM, June 22, 2005  
Blogger Beans said...

I wish everyday that I would have stayed in bed.
So yeah the drunk girl was singing "B-A-N-N-N-N-S", lol.
Well the charm wasnt working, believe me I tried, I really really did. Most of the guys were drunk anyway so they werent going to buy me any kind of drinks unless they were getting something in return, no thanks!
Ill go back for my 21st, that way Ill be the girl singing the songs wrong.

8:00 AM, June 23, 2005  
Blogger The World Against Me said...

You got to play the game. Work them for the drinks. Just like they are trying to work you for .. well.. you. They should know the rules to the game. Just cause they drop the scrilla doesn't mean they will get the goods. It's a give and take thing, they give, you take.

8:32 AM, June 23, 2005  
Blogger Beans said...

Give and take, ill keep that in mind, lol.
Yeah they didnt vaccinnate Scooter against it and well apparently, obviously, they didnt check him for it either.

9:40 AM, June 23, 2005  
Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

Aww...Are you having a better day today?

10:48 AM, June 23, 2005  
Blogger The World Against Me said...

Much.. I am alive.. hehe

11:16 AM, June 23, 2005  
Blogger Shananigans said...

I never knew UPS was such a dangerous work place...scary!

3:01 PM, June 23, 2005  
Blogger Brian said...

I could tell you a "few" stories about UPS too, did 'ten years of hard labor' there, as I tell everyone.

4:38 PM, June 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home