Thursday, September 22, 2005

I'm an old backbreaker

Many many many moons ago, I worked at Tower Records. Those were fun times. It was very close to the movie Empire Records. There was just as much drama in terms of sex, theft, and drunkenness. Except there was actually a LOT of work and we had a LOT of customers…

On one of my days off, I went with my wife (then girlfriend) to Paramount’s Great America. Those were fun times too. Except I was stupid and wore a wife-beater, in 100 degrees weather, under the scorching sun. At the end of the day (majority of the time was spent waiting in line to get on some rides, under the scorching sun), I was sunburned. But this was not just any ordinary sunburn. This was the Lucifer of all sunburns. This sunburn spoke to me and said, “You stupid indoors-dwelling, coming-from-a-fog-covered-city-which-rarely-get-hotter-than-80-degrees, how-dare-you-come-to-my-home-and-not-wear-proper-clothing-nor-did-you-put-on-any-sunshine, I-am-going-to-fuckin-bake-you!!”

It only got worst the next day, and I was rolling in bed, hating everything about life, I decided to call in sick. The manager was not too happy, I did not care. I was in pain, and I was burning up. Anyone who has been that severely burnt know what I am talking about. Your body radiates heat, as if you can at any second turn into the human torch. I was young(er) and could care less what the manager thought…

But I found out the next day that I cared very much. I was suppose to be promoted to Team Lead the day I call in sick. But because I called in sick and whatever other reason, they decided to give that position to another person instead…
I’ve learn from that mistake…

I threw out my back last Wednesday in the blue-collar job. It was from repetitive stress. Lifting and emptying bags that sometimes weights 100 plus pounds. Funny thing was that it was my last day performing that specific duty. I was moving to a much easier job on Friday.

I know, you are wondering, what happened to Thursday? I previously ask for that Thursday off, because I was going to a Giants game (vs Dodgers!). So when I return, I was going to be put into the new position.

So comes my dilemma, Should I go to the Giants game? Should I go to work on Friday?

Then came the memories of Tower Records. And my questions were answered. Damn skip I am going to work, I refuse to give them any reason no to give me that position. And I will be damned if I missed the baseball game. I will fill you in on that on a later date.

It’s been well over a week now, my back is still hurting. Not the sharp constant pain like it was. But a low, irritating, numbing pain…

But I am at the position I wanted which is the important part, right?

Man.. I hate having a mortgage and bills, the black hole of my paychecks…

… I hate the fact that I am getting older… what makes it worst is the fact that I can’t do a damn thing about it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shananigans said...

Man oh man. Slave to the paycheck, know that story all too well. At least you got the position you wanted though. Mad props.

1:31 PM, September 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home