Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Labor Day, 2005

Ok.. so Labor Day, 2005. A day of relaxation right? Nope…

On Sunday night, around 8 o’clock, someone’s car crashed into an electrical pole, effectively knocking out power for like 100 thousand PG&E customers. Half of the city was blacked out, but majority of the customers had restored power by midnight.

We were not part of the majority. In fact, our house was one of the LAST to get their power restored, some 26 hours after the incident.

To make the matter worst, I just spend like 150 dollar on groceries that Saturday morning.

So my wife and I spend most of the blacked out Labor Day reading. Which in itself isn’t a bad thing. We probably would have vegged in front of the T.V. watching movies but instead, we vegged on the bed reading all the books we never had time to read.

Around 1PM, We started worrying about the food in the refrigerator. So decided to go to a local Walgreens to pick up some ICE.

As I was entering the Walgreens, there is a lady walking a small 10-lb mutt, allowing him to piss all over the front entrance. Whatever, I was a man on a mission, I needed ICE for my fridge.

After grabbing the ice, inconveniently located at the BACK of the store. I hurried to the cashier. The lady was in the line, with dog in hand, a couple of places before me. A few minutes passed and the lady was next up. She wanted a pack of GPC Lights 100’s. The conversation between the cashier went a little something like this…

“Sorry ‘mam, we don’t have that particular cigarettes”
“You have to have it, I have been waiting a whole week now for them.”
The cashier went to look again.. didn’t turn up anything
“We don’t have it, you want the GPC Lights instead?”
“I called earlier and someone told me that you guys had it.”
The cashier turned around to look again, still nothing.
“We don’t have it ‘mam, sorry…”
“Can you get the manager or someone who knows what they are doing?”

At this point, I was getting upset. It was hot. My food was spoiling. The ICE is melting. The lady should not have brought the dog in. The lady should not be treating the cashier that way. The lady need to just buy something to fix her nicotine habit if she is that addicted!

So I started told her to move aside so the cashier can help other customers. At this point, all hell broke loose.

She told me to shut up and mind my own business.
I told her I would but her business is affecting my business.
She told me I need to talk to her like a human being.
I told her she need to talk to the cashier like a human being.
She told me she is going to call the cops on me.
I told her to take the dog outside.

Ok.. side note.. since WHEN did every little dog become a service dog? If I am ignorant, forgive me, but what does a rat size dog contribute to a needy patient? She obviously can walk, can listen, can see. Yes, it could be an epilepsy dog. But most epilepsy dogs are larger, able to stop a needy patient from walking forward in case they are in traffic, or able to “stand guard” over them, until help can arrive. I have see too many people who has little “services dogs” they drag around.

Anyways, I digress, she informed me that he was a service dog and would I like to see the tag. I said yes. But she didn’t show me any tags. I said that if she has a medical problem, maybe she should stop being such a bitch and stop smoking. Stress and smoking kills, you know.

This time around, she went to look for the manager. I waited for my turn, paid for my ice and left, only to have her follow me out to copy my license plate. I went back inside to see her talking to the manager. I went up to the “manager”, who was no more than 20 years old, trying to explain my side of the story. The manager was the type who didn’t care about anything, just wanted the problem to go away. Told me to leave or she was going to call the cops. I said go right ahead. And left.

Some of my food tasted funny even after we iced it. Others were ok. It’s been two weeks now, I am still waiting for the police to show up. I guess they either have something better to do, or they never called the police. I am considering writing a letter to the Walgreens headquarters though.

2 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth Spraitz said...

dood what the f... sometimes people with sticks up their asses need to have them surgically removed by super awesome people like us. way to stick up for yourself and tell that bitch what was up... yikes.

12:39 PM, September 22, 2005  
Blogger Shananigans said...

LOL! People can be sooo idiotic sometimes. Those rat size dogs are really more “accessory” dogs than “service” dogs. Not a huge fan of the itty bitty dogs, a lot of them have high-strung personalities. Way to tell her what’s what. I’m glad someone does that sort of thing, because I’m too damn passive and usually just seethe in anger while wondering how someone can be so stupid/rude/inconsiderate. And seething kills too you know.

1:20 PM, September 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home